The Drum Major Society was founded in 2007 after the tragic passing of Julie Ann Benken, former Drum Major and Staff member volunteering with the University of Cincinnati. With a collaborative effort between the Department of Bands and the Benken family, it was decided a venue be created to preserve the legacy of Julie’s spirit as well as a formal recognition Society for members of the band who served in this capacity. Drum Major Nick DelleCave founded the Society and created a few official leadership positions within the organization to work to seek out Alumni Drum Majors and host a reunion celebration to recognize all those who served as Drum Majors.
Over the years the Society has grown in both numbers and organization and was recognized as a support organization to the Department of Bands at local institutions in 2011. As the Society nears it’s 6th year in operation, many exciting changes and efforts are being undertaken to solidify its standing in the community and within any band family.
The Society maintains several purposes to advance the position of Drum major across the country:
- To recognize Past, Present, and Future Drum Majors, wherever they may be for their contribution of excellence in maintaining the traditions of their institution.
- To assist in the cultivation and development of select scholarship funds, for future students.
- To provide basic utility needs for the current Drum Majors throughout each academic year.
- To maintain an official training program through the Department of Bands to educate current and future students as Drum Majors.
- To create a social network for all Drum Majors to communicate and share experiences.